Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
Joel and Antonia talk about a recent visit to Walt Disney World where they observed an interesting phenomenon around Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. What are companies like the Walt Disney company and Zappos.com doing to get employees’ and customers’ needs met? What does Disney’s EPCOT and Las Vegas have in common? Find out on this episode.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- This podcast episode talks about Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
- Need for Survival – Food, Sleep, Sex, etc.
- Safety and Security – Financial security, health and wellness, safety from injuries and accidents.
- Love and Belonging Needs – Relationship with Spouse, friends and family
- Self Esteem – People need to sense that they are valued and feel that they are making a contribution to the world
- Self-Actualization – Transcendent and spiritual work. The highest level of human being.
- You cannot move to the next need up until you get the need below it met.
- Most people seem to live on the first three and It does seem like people are stuck on those base needs.
- If everyone’s survival and safety needs are met, it results in the abundance of love and belongingness which in return, bring energy and happiness.
- Employees at Zappos are all happy. The have different sorts of thoughtful services that make them happy and productive at work.
- Once basic needs are met, people are capable of anything.
Exercise we recommend in this podcast:
- Ask yourself, what needs are going unmet. And if I could create a life where my base needs are met, where could I go? What would be the next place where I can get to?
- What would happen if your base salary is covered for a year without you having to do with that? We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below.
Referenced in this podcast:
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…