Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
On this episode Joel and Antonia talk about emotions… how we express them and often smuggle them when they are unpleasant.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- This podcast episode will talk about smuggling emotions.
- Donkey Smuggling – When we are using a situation to experience an emotion that’s wanting to get out but were not comfortable with the emotion, we tend to use another situation that’s totally disproportionate or unrelated to it.
- Smuggling is an unhealthy way to express emotions.
- Oftentimes it can be easier to see other people smuggling emotions than ourselves.
- The easiest way to identify an emotional smuggle is if your emotional response is totally disproportionate to the situation.
- As humans, if we are exposed to an emotion that we feel we can’t express, we often channel it to a preferred emotion we feel that we can express.
- Enneagram – Is a system indicating that we have a tendency to favor one of three gross emotions – anger, shame and fear.
- Fear – Experiences a lot of anxiety and are stressed out when they feel threatened
- Anger – Usually the ones who get and jump to some form of anger
- Shame – Generally reflected back on to the individual.
- One of the biggest traps of being in Personal Development is thinking out of certain phases where you’re not in permission to feel just like other people who are not as developed.
- You can see a push and pull relationship with people in Personal Development. Giving yourself permission to be on your lower self is part of the journey.
- There’s a distinction between understanding, embodying and holding space for your emotion vs smuggling.
- The reason why smuggling is not a preferred method is because of its unconscious nature.
- Emotions have to be dealt with and processed.
- Loop – When we are in a very emotional state, we can get to a point that we’re very uncomfortable with the intensity of the situation. We feel like we had enough but we can’t handle it anymore. So we stop at a certain level, leading us stuck and not being able to get rid of the emotion.
- Process through the emotion and let it happen.
- On a neurological level, the emotion cannot last 8 minutes. Fully experience it all the way.
- By going thought the entire experience, you’re less likely to smuggle later. It’s a skill that has to be built and developed. Eventually, you are going to express emotions in a healthy and productive way.
- Start out by only observing your own smuggles. Keep it to just you calling out your own.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…