Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Antonia and Joel talk about how to relate to children if they are a different personality type than you, in particular their learning style. Since there are different ways of seeing the world, we have a tendency to see the ‘other’ as broken or rebellious behavior in our children. What if they’re just responding to their natural wiring?
In this podcast you’ll find:
- Question from reader Andrea, “So as an intuitive type I am very curious to learn more about what it’s like to experience the world as a sensor. What motivates sensing types? What makes them feel good and what stresses them out? How can an intuitive mom help nurture the sensors around her so that everyone can shine?”
- The difference between sensory and intuitive learning styles.
- The percentage breakdown of the two styles, and what the disparity may mean.
- An intuitive parent may have an advantage in that they already have sensors on their radar.
- We all have both abilities, but we do have a clear preference.
- We’re good at our preferences because we clock so many hours using them.
- Intuitives get good at speculation, Sensors get good at mastering the physical realm like with athletics or spotting details.
- Intuitives help innovate, while Sensors create and maintain standards.
- Sensor kids have needs like being aware of their physical comfort and safety.
- Intuitive kids will often not see the rules as applying to them, so they may not be ‘rebellious’ when disregarding rules. Be careful before diagnosing them as ‘broken’
- Get yourself and your kids tested.
Things we reference in this podcast:
- Follow this link to get your own learning style tested. (Remember, if you test as either Memory or Sensation, you are a Sensor; if you test as Perspsectives or Exploration you are an Intuitive.)
- Follow this link for an assessment designed for children. [It seems that link is no longer working. Please feel free to use the Genius Style Assessment and answer the questions as best you can for your child.]
Want to learn more?
Our program Personality Types in Children & Family dives deep into the personality types and dynamics of all family members, as well as tools for keeping them happy and healthy. Give your kids a major advantage by understanding by ordering Personality Types in Children & Family.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more about your personality?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…