Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode Joel and Antonia talk about making scary changes in your life when you are ready to “scale up” in personal development.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- Talking about ‘scale up’ moments, which are scary even if we know it would be good for us.
- The character Neo in the move “The Matrix” is a great example of letting go of others expectations and scaling up by resting into his own sense of integrity.
- We face moments when we realize ‘what got us here won’t get us there’.
- Transitions aren’t just scary, they’re also painful.
- Based on ancient programming, a part of us fears that if we fail after the transition we’ll literally die.
- The scariest part isn’t the transition; it’s the initial decision of making big change.
- The transition is usually more frustration and painful. You have to pick up new skills and one learns things about themselves that may not be flattering.
- When we finish the process, we almost always look back and say “That wasn’t so bad.”
- A helpful model is the HAT model – Healing, Achievement and Transcendence.
- When we’re scaling up, we’re putting more pressure through the ‘pipe’ and more cracks are exposed. We mistake this new self-understanding with a belief that we’re broken and not ready for the next level.
- Going through the transition is what exposed the cracks in the first place, so it’s all a healthy part of the process.
- Once you get to the next ‘vine’ you feel so accomplished.
- It’s easy to blame outside circumstances to mask the fear of scaling up, or to believe that no one will help you during the process.
- Alternatively, it’s healthier to see oneself as responsible for transitions and also find mentors and coaches to help during the process.
- It takes balls and determination and persistence to make big changes in life.
- Some have the problem of being in transition too much and have trouble sticking with just one thing, which can be its own challenge.
- Having the strength often comes by doing the thing you’re madly in love with doing.
- It’s important to really know what you want, and avoid ‘counterfeit’ desires.
- Some people end up in ‘satellite’ careers – something close to their heart’s desire, but one step removed.
- Surrounding yourself with people who are already where you want to go helps you get to your end game faster, and proves it can be done with ‘dying’.
- It’s also important not to mistake lateral change with vertical growth.
- Being able to make big transitions is the first step toward playing a Bigger Game.
- Familiarity can keep one in bad, sometimes dangerous, situations.
- All growth happens out of our comfort zone, so comfort isn’t always our friend.
Exercises we recommend in this podcast:
Spend time every day writing 3 pages of ‘stream of consciousness’ writing to mine your mind for what you truly want.
Things we reference in this podcast:
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…