Podcast – Episode 0077 – Developing Patience With Yourself
Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this podcast Joel and Antonia talk about developing patience with yourself as you go through your personal development journey.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- As you’re making changes to free up your psychological energy, oftentimes you will feel stuck on the process. How do you survive and have patience with those big transition time periods?
- We have this idea that anything that doesn’t look concrete and tangible (anything that feels more abstract) should be quicker to achieve because you’re not facing the same physical challenges or limitations in the outside world.
- Generally, when we are making changes in our lives, we’re always going to see tangible or physical results. For example – getting better friendships and relationships.
- Understand that no matter what you do in life, it would always take time to manifest.
- Personal development works the same way because it also takes time.
- A lot of the tools and interventions involved in Personality Development require discipline and you may not notice it, but the changes appear subtle. This is because we are living with the results.
- Steve Pavlina wrote an Article about being patient in his personal development. He recommends not seeing it in timelines of 6 months – 1 year, but actually seeing it in timelines of 5-10 years (which you’ll see major changes).
- Any characteristic worth developing, is worth developing in 10 years.
- Try looking back at yourself 5 or 10 years ago and identify the major changes you made in your personality development.
- One of the reasons why we get impatient with ourselves is because we create unrealistic expectations.
- How do you survive when changes are happening very slowly? Setting realistic expectations and getting your needs met.
- Things are way more interconnected in life. There are different nodes/pieces that are needed in order for things to happen. Check out the episode about Systems Thinking.
- The more personal development you do, the easier it is to do the next one.
- One of the best ways to have patience during your personal development is to have those little celebrations (acknowledge your progress/changes).
- When we see other people who we believe are gurus (the people who inspire us), understand that it took them a long time too. It took them a long time to study (read books, attend seminars, etc.) work their way to the level of personal development they’re in.
- Remember that we are all in this path. For everyone, it’s a long timeline.
- Celebrate the small stuff, make sure that you’re doing a lot of energy management and have enough positive reinforcement. Keep an eye on your progress and the changes on how you’re improving.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…