Podcast – Episode 0141 – How Will You Measure Successful Parenting
Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode Joel and Antonia talk about the metrics we can use as people to measure our parenting success.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- The stakes are high when it comes to parenting. We are responsible for shaping young minds.
- Nothing in life readies you for the experience of parenting.
- Most parents will seek out advice around a specific challenge in regards to parenting, but not generally.
- Having a child is the most ego focused thing you can do. By having a child, you are attempting to guarantee that your genetics, ideals, and ideas live on.
- We are pushed by our biology to have children to keep our genes alive.
- Time-binding ideas. We have a genetic imperative to have a child, and we have an ego imperative to make the child just like us. That’s why typology is so powerful. We recognize our kids are different from us and will make different choices.
- People get heavily invested in their parenting roles because their egos are involved. Some who have transcended ego will have children and get sucked right back into ego.
- It is hard to have any form of objectivity when it comes to parenting.
- What is your endgame? Being clear on what you define as success in parenting will help transcend the ego attachment.
- Regarding your ultimate destination, what does successful parenting look like for you?
- How do you currently measure your success as a parent? How would you like to measure your success? Where do you want your kids to end up?
- Set up rituals and habits that will serve the child as he/she grows: kindness, brushing teeth, healthy living, open mind, how to learn.
- Body, spirit, mind – how do you want your child to show up in each of these categories?
- Figure out how their wiring is going to hijack them. (Mental wiring)
- Happiness – Life affirming trajectories – Serving themselves and others in the best way possible.
- That will change from kid to kid.
- Some sibling issues may not be communication problems; it may be connection issues. Have them look into each other’s eyes for 2 minutes when an altercation occurs.
- How do you not want you child to turn out? Triangulate your definition of successful parenting.
- Figure out what it is you would like to see from your kids.
- Recognize your tendency to project your ego upon your child.
- Be aware of your ego’s attempt to hijack your role as a parent to mitigate your projection upon your kid.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…