Podcast – Episode 0015 – Finding Your Passion
Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Joel & Antonia answer a question from a listener about finding your passion.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- Many people say that if you’re living your passion “you never work a day in your life.”
- We haven’t always had the luxury of asking what our passion is and finding a career which represents it. Technology has democratized the question and the answer.
- What is passion? Is it an emotion?
- What is worth it to me so that when I have sticking point and have to do things I don’t want to have to do it’s still important for me to pursue. The outcome of letting the dream die is unconscionable.
- There’s a big connection between one’s passion and the impact you want to create.
- Those who want to pursue creative careers tend to find their passion earlier in life and follow it young.
- Model: Passion, Purpose and Mission.
- Passion is anything that lights a fire under you. It keeps you focused on an end game. It’s unthinkable to stop.
- Purpose is helping define ‘why am I here’? Our minds wander to ‘how do I leave the camp better than when I got here’? It’s a focus on contribution.
- Mission is being a light-bearer, and people are following you as a leader.
- Super successful people aren’t just focused on their own personal success, but on the industry they’re in as a whole. “The rising tide raises all ships.”
- Model: Power, Achievement and Affiliation.
- These are motivators for knowing what means something to you. Power may be motivated by gaining greater responsibility over others, affiliation may be motivated by recognition and achievement is motivated by having accomplished something.
- What is your end game, is it wrapped up in power, achievement or affiliation?
- Sometimes it’s not a matter of finding your passion, it’s a matter of having permission to know your passion. Suddenly you’re responsible to your passion, and some may not feel ready for it or have permission to pursue it.
- Being fully authentic as a person is a vital component to following your passion.
- A better question than “what do you want to be when you grow up?” is “WHO do you want to be when you grow up?”
Exercises we recommend in this podcast:
1. What subject do you love so much that if you were in a restaurant and people at the next table over were talking about this subject you would interrupt their conversation in order to talk about it with them?
2. What problem or challenge have you solved that you will interrupt people in a restaurant to share the solution with them?
3. If you had a microphone in front of you and for 10 minutes the entire planet had to stop and listen to everything you said, what would you talk about?
Things we reference in this podcast:
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…