Podcast – Episode 0035 – Can You Trust Personality Typology Systems
Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode Joel and Antonia talk about the reliability of personality typology systems.
In this podcast on personality typology systems you’ll find:
- Are personal typology systems reliable? At Personality Hacker, we are primarily interested in personality development.
- People have varying degrees of interest in personal typology systems. Oftentimes, many people will arrive to a point where they question its usefulness and credibility.
- Personality psychology is particularly new; there is not much hard data behind it and there are more questions than answers.
- Stephen Covey (author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People) talked about how we form relationships with people. We initially create a dependent relationship. Overtime, we start developing our own ways of seeing things and we become independent. Eventually, we realize that working together in some ways (but not all the time) serves a greater purpose and we become interdependent.
- A lot of people stay on the dependent and independent phases. They over rely on personal psychology systems or they only see its limitations and no longer cogitate it as valid.
- The healthiest phase to be with is the interdependent phase. It doesn’t have to be something you should rely on constantly.
- At Personality Hacker, we use 3 models – Myers-Briggs, Enneagram and the Graves Model. All three of these models have limited application and are very useful when used in context. When it ceases being useful, it ends up becoming a destructive weapon on hand.
- Don’t think that this is something you have to apply in all situations. If you can’t apply it or if it’s preventing you from being happy, stop using it. Each context are different. Use what works to bring happiness to your life.
- The aim to help people grow. We want to see these models being used for personal growth. Any tool that enables growth is something that we look at.
- People can do personal development without the help of personal psychology models, but personal psychology can help you attain personal growth faster.
- We all can’t help but use typology systems because we all naturally categorize things.
- No matter how we good we are at personal psychology models, they’re simply representations and are not the actual thing itself.
- The only way to be in reality is to directly experience something without bias. Just be receptive. Once you bring thought and feeling, you are becoming biased to it.
- Any argument about whether or not something is accurate is meaningless unless you put action to it.
- Don’t hold on to something too tightly, it really is a matter of what works for you. Ask yourself, which model is working for you? What gets you to a place that makes you a better version of yourself and does not burden you?
- Personality Hacker’s goal is to make people become better versions of themselves. Go out and make the world better.
- Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes or download the Podcast Republic app on Google Play for your android device.
Things we reference in this podcast:
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…