Podcast – Episode 0196 – Getting Needs Met At Every Maslow Level
Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Joel and Antonia talk with their friend Dan (a former guest on episode 38) about his current personal development work and getting needs met at every Maslow level.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- In a previous podcast, Dan talked a lot about moving away from pain, and now he has pivoted to moving toward happiness and pleasure
- He realized that even though he had an excellent job, it wasn’t keeping up with the happiness level in the rest of his life.
- He left his career and sold his house to become a full-time adventurer
- Photography became his new passion
- He loved hiking so much he decided he wanted to do a lot more of it.
- He hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in five and a half months
- Dan is an INFP. His copilot is Extraverted Intuition which is all about exploration
- As he explored, he got greater clarity on the things he was passionate about, which didn’t include owning a home which felt like an anchor
- He simplified his life
- Strip out the nonessentials and life becomes less expensive and travel is easier without the monthly debt load.
- Dan’s never been afraid of hard work which got him the income to pursue the things he wanted
- He had fat to trim because he put so much hard work in building up the necessary resources
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail is not easy. It requires hard work.
- He worked very hard to become homeless and unemployed – it was a process.
- One step at a time
- You can work hard for the things that don’t matter, or you can work hard on the things that fulfill you
- Appalachian Trail is over 2000 miles (3500 km) long
- Planning to walk that distance is a challenge, especially for INFPs
- Break down the plan as simply as you can
- Take note of the questions and concerns you have along the way.
- Don’t let those things get overwhelming. Write them down, one by one, and address them one at a time.
- It takes an INFP forever to make a decision but once the decision is made they are a force of nature.
- They have chewed on a concept a lot, so the motivation is there once a decision is made.
- Internal alignment – “This is what I am about, and this is what I have to bring to this world.”
- “What is my message?”
- Beauty is Everywhere
- We don’t appreciate how much beauty is out there – in nature, in people, everywhere
- We get distracted from it, but it is out there for anyone who wants to look for it.
- People were all fantastic on the hike
- Great things come from stretching beyond your comfort zone
- “I want you to come adventuring with me.”
- When we develop our copilot, it requires us to do it and wait to see what comes of it.
- Trust the process – clarity will come.
- People don’t always get their needs met because they aren’t sure what their needs are.
- When you get down to survival level, you get a lot of clarity on what your needs are
- We need three things
- Clarity on what our needs are
- Permission to meet those needs
- Strategy for getting those needs met
- “Where are you right this second in Maslows pyramid and what is your need vs the mental clutter?”
- Make your own needs the priority
- Identify something in your life that you feel is a need going unmet.
- What strategies can you employ to get that need met?
- Follow Dan on Instagram
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…