Podcast – Episode 0396 – The John Beebe Eight Function Model Of Personality
Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Joel and Antonia introduce Dr. John Beebe’s Eight Function Model of Personality and discuss its usefulness for personal growth.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- The value of coaches – Joel explains why he and Antonia sought out personal coaching from John Beebe on his Eight Function Model Of Personality.
- Antonia’s plan for how this model will make its way from their personal growth journeys into the personal growth content they produce.
- How do you identify your shadow-function stack? Check out our article on The Car Model as a base to learn about your first four functions.
- Introducing the concept of topos – viewing the 8 functions as archetypal energies, based on their position in the stack.
- What are the names John has given to each of the 8 function positions?
- Understanding the interplay of the 8 functions through the “axis of self versus the axis of relating”.
- Diving into the energy and role of each of the 8 functions:
- The Driver (dominant) function: The Hero – thinking of this as the function we use to save the world.
- The Copilot (auxiliary) function: The Parent – understanding the mother/father energy this brings, and its relational qualities.
- The 10-Yr-Old (tertiary) function: The Eternal Child – why this function is insecure and seeking validation, in spite of skill development.
- The 3-Yr-Old (inferior) function: The Anima/Animus – learning to understand the amplification this function is seeking.
- The shadow functions: understanding them in terms of their “choreography” rather than “development” – and what you need to consider when exploring them.
- The 5th function: The Opposing Personality – the avoidant nature and multiple faces of this function.
- The 6th function: The Senex/Witch – the role of withering authority.
- The 7th function: The Trickster – why this function uses child-like tricks to attempt to get its needs met.
- The 8th function: The demon – why this function can embody both darkness and light.
- Questions to ask yourself to identify when a shadow function may be presenting itself.
- Some final thoughts on the messages we receive from our shadow functions.
Dive deeper into John Beebe’s work on The Eight Function Model in his book: Energies And Patterns In Psychological Type: The Reservoir Of Consciousness
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…